You spend a lot of time and money to get people to your homepage and listings, now make the most of your efforts by serving advertising to customers and potential customers… long after they initially visit your website. It’s called ‘Remarketing’ or ‘Retargeting’ and it’s a powerful way for RV dealers to stay engaged with their own website visitors (potential RV buyers)…all across the web.
In this article, I am going to describe how to setup a basic remarketing ad campaign that serves display/banner ads to recent and previous visitors to your own web pages. If you already know the basics and are looking for a more in-depth tutorial, view this article in the Google Help Center. It is assumed that you have some basic working knowledge of Adwords – how to set up a new campaign, uploading ad creative etc. For Adwords basics click here.
To begin, you are going to set up a “Remarketing List” from within Google Analytics, that will be used by Adwords to reach only your website visitors.
- Login to your Google Analytics account
- Select “Admin” tab at top right of the page
- Choose the profile for your Dealer website from the “Property” column
- Select “Remarketing” and then “Lists” from the drop down
- Click “New Remarketing List”
- Modify your Tracking Code if you haven’t already
- Select a profile from the “View” drop down
- Choose a “Remarketing Type” - “All of my site Visitors”
- Name the List -”All Site Visitors”
- Enter a Membership duration – this is the length of time your site visitors will be served your ads before being dropped from the list. You can keep them for up to 540 days.
- Choose your Adwords account from the drop-down.
Next, you will create a new display ad campaign to target this specified audience, banner ads that will be served to your website traffic, all over the web!
- Login to your Adwords account
- Select the “Campaigns” tab
- Click “+ Campaign”, and then “Display Network Only”
- Name the campaign and choose “Remarketing” radio button.
- Choose a Bid Strategy and Daily Budget.
- “Save and Continue”
- Name your Ad Group
- Select the newly created “All Site Visitors” from the Remarketing Lists area.
- “Save and Continue”
- Create Ads and save.
You have just created your first Remarketing ad campaign. Now after visitors leave your website, your ads will be shown to them… all across the internet! Please leave your questions, comments, success stories below.
In my next article, Remarketing 201…How to Segment Specific Audiences, and Create Content that Converts.